Welcome to the Panopto Community

Please note: All new registrants to the Panopto Community Forum must be approved by a forum moderator or admin. As such, if you navigate to a feature that is members-only, you may receive an error page if your registration has not yet been approved. We apologize for any inconvenience and are approving new members as quickly as possible.

How do you use your powerpoint slides while recording?

I am a new user to Panopto. I am a university faculty member and am trying to record my lectures with my powerpoint slides. When I share the screen as per the instructions, the powerpoint slides do not work. I get a single screen that will not move to the next slide. I am trying to go through the powerpoint slides with my picture in the corner or, better yet, side by side the powerpoints. But the program does not seem to work as the instructions indicate it should.

I am following the instructions at https://www.panopto.com/blog/the-best-way-to-record-a-powerpoint-presentation/

Things seem to go wrong at step 3: Step 3: Open Your PowerPoint Slides and Capture the Screen

I have tried the application window and chrome tab options. When I select the application window, Panopto goes to the application, but I am not in the window. It is just the powerpoint slides. When I go back to the browser with the camera, I see the powerpoint slide in but the powerpoint slides will not work.

I don't know what I am doing wrong.

Answers

• Hello,

If you have access to Panopto through your university, I would recommend recording with the Panopto desktop recorder instead of the new Panopto Capture web app. Here is the guide for that: https://support.panopto.com/s/article/basic-recording-1

The Panopto Capture offering doesn't have a way to capture powerpoints like the desktop app does.

If you are on a managed computer and need to have the desktop app installed, I would recommend reaching out to your IT staff.

-Michael

• KathrynKathryn Administrator

@Robert Prevost Once you to choose to record your screen and camera, you will see a preview of both in the Panopto Capture tab. Then, follow these steps:

1. Click the Record button.
    2. Switch to your slides and if it isn't already, put Powerpoint in slideshow mode and present your slides. During this time, all you will see on screen is your slides, but Panopto is recording both your screen and camera.
    3. When you are finished presenting, switch back to your web browser and stop the recording.

This is how you would record when recording the whole screen. If you would like to record just the powerpoint application (not the whole screen), follow step 5.2 of this article: https://support.panopto.com/s/article/How-to-Create-a-Video-Using-Panopto-Capture#hTargetInstance4

As Michael mentioned, you could also try recording with Panopto for Windows/Mac which does have some extra functionality around Powerpoint, but you don't need to do this to have a successful result.

• Kathryn, Thanks for your help. I thought that I had figured it out. In fact, I was able to record several videos exactly like I wanted. However, now I have run into a different problem. I cannot get Panopto to record the camera. I have been trying to record a side-by-side lecture using Google Slides using the free recorder available at panopto.com (I have used the pro recorder as well and the same thing happens). I select the microphone, then the camera, then a select the google tab with the particular google slide show that I want to use. I have it set by side-by-by side presentation. I hit record and then go to the Chrome tab with the slide show. I record the lecture going through the slides. At the end, then I switch back to panopto and stop the recording. I upload it to my Pro folder and find that only the sound recorded. The camera is not recording my face. I have recorded the lecture at least 8 times trying to get the side-by-side presentation. I have switched computers, I have tried using picture in a picture. I have tried recording with just the slide show appearing. Nothing has worked. I cannot get panopto to record my face and the slides in the same presentation. Have you any advice on what I need to do to get this to work? I am at my wits end. I am using Panopto because it is the only software that I could find that would do side-by-side presentations. I was able to make several that worked just fine. Now I cannot get it to record using the camera. It seems that whenever I start recording, the camera is turned off. Help!

• Update: I downloaded the Google slide show as a PowerPoint slide show and recorded the lecture using the Application window. It worked. Why would it work that way and not using a Chrome tab?

• KathrynKathryn Administrator

Hi Robert,

I'm sorry you are now having issues recording your camera with Panopto Capture/Panopto Express. One possible reason is that your browser is blocking the camera from being recorded.

To see if this is the issue and fix it, please follow the instructions here: https://support.panopto.com/s/article/How-to-Unblock-a-Device

One other thing to try is to make sure that your internet browser is on an up to date version.

Also, it is possible that another application is trying to access your camera at the same time as Panopto which could cause a conflict - if you have any other camera-using applications open, please make sure to close them.

I'm glad to hear that it worked when you recorded using Powerpoint in an application tab! I would try the above steps to see if it will work in a Chrome tab as well.