Welcome to the Panopto Community

Please note: All new registrants to the Panopto Community Forum must be approved by a forum moderator or admin. As such, if you navigate to a feature that is members-only, you may receive an error page if your registration has not yet been approved. We apologize for any inconvenience and are approving new members as quickly as possible.

Webcast via Tricaster still recording / live. How to stop?

Hello,

Yesterday we did a live stream / webcast at the University where I work, and we did it via the Newtek Tricaster Mini ( https://www.newtek.com/tricaster/mini/ ) . We created the webcast in Panopto, and then created a stream in the Tricaster with the rtmp and the stream key info from Panopto. We started the stream / webcast in the Tricaster interface, and ended it there also. The problem now is that the stream shows up in Panopto as "In Progress" , "Recording right now", and "Converting to on-demand: 0%". When we open it and play it, it only plays to the point where i ended the webcast, but it says "LIVE" in the lower right hand corner. How can I stop this and bring to it a completely ended state so I can edit it and, well, have it stopped? See enclosed images.

Hope someone can help!

Sincerely, Eric

Answers

• Caitlin McCabeCaitlin McCabe Administrator

Hi Eric,

This sounds like an issue our Support team should investigate. To expedite this matter and make things easier for you, I will submit a ticket on your behalf as well as make your local Panopto administrator aware.

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to ask - we're always happy to help!

Best wishes,

Cait

• Thanks Cait,

I appreciate that :) Should I expect a reply from your support team, or from our local administrator?

Eric

• Update:

This morning when I checked, 3 days after we stopped the stream in the Tricaster, the stream has stopped in Panopto. I don't know why it stopped now, but we need to find out what caused this so it won't happen again. We have a new streaming job coming up next week...

Sincerely,

Eric

Hi @Eric Steinberg,

My apologies for the delay in response, as I was out of office yesterday. I will send you a direct message regarding your Support ticket.

Best wishes,

Cait

• I'm not sure if I have misunderstood how support works. I received an email from support, I answered it with more questions, but I haven't heard anything back. We have a stream job tomorrow (Tuesday March 15th), and we really really really really need to ensure that the same problem doesn't occur. We need to make sure the stream stops properly when we stop it via the Tricaster.

Eric

Hi Eric,

I see that you started a chat with Support after posting, but wanted to acknowledge that I've seen your follow-up comment and spoke with the Support team member you have been working with. She's confirmed that your questions are being looked at and the Support team will be back in contact with you soon.

Best wishes,

Cait

• Hi Cait,

Yes, I've been in touch with Support. Looks like there is no fix for this problem, and next time it happens we'll just have to live with the fact that we can't edit an ended webcast in Panopto until Panopto decides it will end it completely. It took 3 days before the editing interface was available last time. The webcast we did yesterday ended overnight, so that was better.

Eric