Welcome to the Panopto Community

Please note: All new registrants to the Panopto Community Forum must be approved by a forum moderator or admin. As such, if you navigate to a feature that is members-only, you may receive an error page if your registration has not yet been approved. We apologize for any inconvenience and are approving new members as quickly as possible.

XML Exception - iUsageReporting GetReport method - Soap API

Caitlin McCabeCaitlin McCabe Administrator

Original Post: Sean Ohlinger, July 9, 2019 at 8:48 AM

Good Evening All,

I have been trying to use the GetReport method through the Soap API and a C# script and have been receiving the following Exception.

System.ServiceModel.ProtocolException: 'There is a problem with the XML that was received from the network. See inner exception for more details.'

Inner Exception:

XmlException: The data at the root level is invalid. Line 1, position 1.

I'm relatively new to working with SOAP and C# but have managed to get authenticated and query all other methods in several of the services. I'm hoping someone with a little more experience might see my newbie mistake and point me in the right direction.

Currently, I have the authenticated client and call GetReport with the authentication and the reportID but get the above error.

I have tried using the default app.config file and creating my own bindings and endpoint (both methods work for all other methods).

Panopto_UsageReporting.AuthenticationInfo authInfo

= new Panopto_UsageReporting.AuthenticationInfo();

//Local login for test server

authInfo.UserKey ="XXUsernameXX";

authInfo.Password = "XXpasswordXX";

UsageReportingClient src = new UsageReportingClient();

StatsReportStatus[] reports = src.GetRecentReports(authInfo,null);

//this call is successful with a return type of StatsReportStatus List

src.GetReport(authInfo,Guid.Parse("10101010-1010-1010-1010-101010101010"));

//since GetReport does not return a value, I cannot assign it to a variable.

//just running it as the above causes the above error.

Responses

Mark Brewsala, Moderator, July 17, 2019 at 6:02 PM

Hello,

Sorry about the delay in response and confusion here!

The response from the GetReport API is actually a compressed stream of the report contents themselves. As such, the response is not a proper SOAP envelope, so any SOAP client will tell you the response is not well-formed.

The solution is to create your own HttpRequest, add a proper SOAP envelope to the request, and parse the raw response manually.

An example of this in Python has been available here:

https://github.com/Panopto/python-soap/blob/master/examples/stats_report_example.py

And for C-Sharp developers, we've just added this example:

https://github.com/Panopto/UsageReportingDownloadsExample/blob/master/UsageReportingDownloads/Program.cs

Thanks,

Mark

Sean Ohlinger, July 17, 2019 at 6:49 PM

Thanks Mark,

This is a good start. I'll take a stab at it but I see with Net 4.5 (required in the SSIS environment I'm coding for) I will need to force set the security to TLS 1.0 or above.

Can you confirm the highest supported TLS setting?

I see you use the UserKey and Password for authentication. Is that recommended / more secure than an AuthCode?

Thanks again for the help!

Sean

Sean Ohlinger, July 19, 2019 at 1:23 PM

Hey Mark and All,

Ok, I was able to successfully download the report.

Based on my research, I believe calling the following code prior to the creation of the request forces the connection to use TLS 1.1 or 1.2 in Net 4.5:

System.Net.ServicePointManager.SecurityProtocol = System.Net.SecurityProtocolType.Tls12 | System.Net.SecurityProtocolType.Tls11;

Also, I use both the envelope you provided and altered for using the AuthCode (below):

string.Format(@"

http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/"">          

http://tempuri.org/"">              

xmlns:a=""""

xmlns:i="""">

{1}    

{0}

{2}

",          

auth.UserKey,

auth.AuthCode,

reportId);