Welcome to the Panopto Community

Please note: All new registrants to the Panopto Community Forum must be approved by a forum moderator or admin. As such, if you navigate to a feature that is members-only, you may receive an error page if your registration has not yet been approved. We apologize for any inconvenience and are approving new members as quickly as possible.

Dead Drop Folder?

Is it possible to create a folder that users could upload or move sessions to that they do not have view access to? The closest I can get is to create a folder set to "Only specific people and groups" can access. I also created a custom role that can only move and copy sessions. I then assigned users that role for that folder.

They're able to move videos into that folder, but they can still see video titles and thumbnails in there. The videos won't play, but I don't want them to even show up for these users. Is that possible?

Answers

• Caitlin McCabeCaitlin McCabe Administrator

Hi @Adam Ross,

I spoke with some colleagues about this. They agreed that using custom roles is how they would initially approach this, but added that the other option is to create an assignment folder, which grants any Viewer who has access to the parent folder with the ability to create content in the assignment folder. They will not be able to see each other's content as the assignment folder has a setting, "Allow viewers to see each other's sessions," that is turned off by default.

To learn more about this, please feel free to visit our article, How to Allow Viewers to Record Videos Using Assignment Folders.

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to ask - we're always happy to help!

Best wishes,
    Cait

• Thanks Cait! That sounds like exactly what I want. However, in following those directions I don't see the Assignment options in the folder settings. In Site Settings, there is nothing disabling it as far as I can tell. Is this something all cloud instances get?

Hi @Adam Ross,

We confirmed that, during your site's configuration, the ability to create assignment folders was disabled. To make things easier for you, I will submit a Support ticket on your behalf so our team can work with you to enable assignment folders for your site. Our team should be in contact with you soon.

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to ask - we're always happy to help!

Best wishes,
    Cait

Hi @Adam Ross,

My apologies, I spoke too soon - it looks like you already have a Support ticket open for this. I will add a note to the case.

Best wishes,
    Cait

• Thanks @Caitlin McCabe !