Welcome to the Panopto Community

Please note: All new registrants to the Panopto Community Forum must be approved by a forum moderator or admin. As such, if you navigate to a feature that is members-only, you may receive an error page if your registration has not yet been approved. We apologize for any inconvenience and are approving new members as quickly as possible.

Can you upload captions you created?

edited August 7 in General Q&A

I am trying to upload videos I created in Panopto to a PowerPoint Presentation and Google Slides Presentation. However, the video uploads fine, but the captions I created do not come with it. Is there a way to upload the captions and include them in the video in PowerPoint or Slides? Thanks!

Answers

• Caitlin McCabeCaitlin McCabe Administrator

Hi @Daniel LaGrow,

You can upload a captioning file by following the instructions provided in How to Upload a Caption File for a Video. Viewers should be able to see the captions under the secondary stream if they select the Closed Captioning (CC) button on the Viewer controls toolbar.

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to ask - we're always happy to help!

Best wishes,
    Cait

• Hello @Caitlin McCabe
    That is not quite what I am looking for. I already made the captions in Panopto. I am trying to download my video I made in Panopto with the captions. For some reason, the video will download fine, but the captions wont come with it. I hope that explains it better, sometimes I struggle with articulation. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Dan

Hi @Daniel LaGrow,

My apologies for the misunderstanding. If you are downloading a Panopto video as an MP4, the caption files will download with the MP4; however, not all video players support the captioning file, which is why the captions do not appear as an option when you add the video to your PowerPoint presentation.

I've found the following workaround for adding captions to a video file you've inserted into a PowerPoint:
    1. Download the caption file from the video's settings:

2. Convert the .txt file that downloads to a WebVTT file. There are instructions on how to do this on Microsoft's site here: Create closed captions for a video. Alternatively, there are some free transcript conversion sites online that update the file quickly.

3. On the slide with your Panopto video, select the 'Playback' tab, then select the 'Insert Captions' dropdown, and click 'Insert Captions:'

4. Locate and select your WebVTT captioning file from the file browser that appears. The captions will be added to the video, where you can toggle closed captioning on/off as needed:

We do have an internal feature request for embedding Panopto content directly into PowerPoint presentations, which I'm happy to add your organization to if your local Panopto administrator requests that.

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to ask - we're always happy to help!

Best wishes,

Cait

• @Caitlin McCabe

Thank you for your help! How much does the feature cost? I am part of the State University of New York at Fredonia.

Hi @Daniel LaGrow,

This feature is not yet available or currently expected. I will make a note to add SUNY Fredonia to the interested organizations and make your local Panopto administrator aware of your interest in this feature.

Best wishes,
    Cait