Welcome to the Panopto Community

Please note: All new registrants to the Panopto Community Forum must be approved by a forum moderator or admin. As such, if you navigate to a feature that is members-only, you may receive an error page if your registration has not yet been approved. We apologize for any inconvenience and are approving new members as quickly as possible.
Options

Overwrite an existing Video

I had a video in a folder in Panopto (we use Canvas with Panopto integrated into Canvas). This is a video that I will link to various courses. Then, I went to “replace” it. That is, say I found an error in the video, I fixed it and I want to replace the existing video with the fixed one. Then, once I replace that video, I am good to go. I don’t need to go change any of the links or pointers in the various places that I have referenced the video. That was my objective anyway. However, instead of overwriting the existing video, it created another video with the exact same name. Of course, the new video has a new link so I would have to go back and fix all the places I linked to that video to the new video link.

Bottom line. I need to know how to replace an existing video with a new one such that all existing links to that video are unaffected.

Answers

• Options
    Caitlin McCabeCaitlin McCabe Administrator

Hi Jim,

Are you trying to delete the existing content in a session and then upload completely new content to preserve the link? Or, are you trying to make changes to an existing session?

Here are some helpful articles on this topic:

The articles above demonstrate the steps to add a new stream to your session in the editor and how to focus between streams. This will let you add new content to existing sessions in the editor and trim out the old content, all while maintaining the same session link.

Let us know if we can provide further assistance.

Best wishes,

Cait

• Options

I have to admit, I am quite new to Panopto so I have not yet fully internalized all the terminology. But I assume a stream is a video. I am trying to replace the existing video with a new one (which is the same video, but with errors fixed) so that the link stays the same. I do not use Panopto to make my edits to the videos as I do them with other apps (mainly Camtasia). Sometimes it's not even me that needs to fix the errors in the video and they use whatever editor they use.

• Options

And maybe if I add an analogy using a file sharing system (like Box or Dropbox). I store a video file in Box. I then share the link to that video file so that students can view it. I find an error in the video so I edit it, and simply overwrite the file in Box with the new one. Done. No need to make any changes to anyplace I shared/used the link.

• Options

Ok. Thanks. I used your add stream and focus tool and see how that works. I am guessing that's the only way to do it. That is, I can't just overwrite the file with another file and preserve the link. I guess I'll have to live with that. The add stream and focus tool is slow and clumsy for replacing an entire video, but at least it can be done. I would love a feature that would allow me to just replace an entire video though.

Thanks.