Welcome to the Panopto Community

Please note: All new registrants to the Panopto Community Forum must be approved by a forum moderator or admin. As such, if you navigate to a feature that is members-only, you may receive an error page if your registration has not yet been approved. We apologize for any inconvenience and are approving new members as quickly as possible.
At Panopto, we love how committed our customers are to making Panopto a better product - please feel free to share your feature ideas or vote on existing ideas in this category!

Before submitting a feature request, make sure to read our Guidelines & Expectations post

Once your idea is submitted, it will be marked as 'Tracked' when added to our internal feature requests system.

Panopto recorder clients to support virtual background

Alex ShchukinAlex Shchukin Whiz Kid
edited April 2021 in Feature Requests

Our trainers work from home due to Covid-19 outbreak. They would need Panopto recorder to support virtual background.

The same way how it is supported with Zoom.

Thanks,

58 votes

Tracking · Last Updated

We shipped virtual background in Panopto Capture in December of 2020. Changing the status back to "Under Consideration" as adding this to the clients isn't on the short-term roadmap. https://support.panopto.com/s/article/How-to-Create-a-Video-Using-Panopto-Capture#hTargetInstance2

Comments

• This is really needed. Also, add an option to use a photo/image. That way they have the option to add an official photo of the speaker if they prefer that.

• Ben LuceroBen Lucero Crackerjack

I agree totally with the ability to add a photo! Another option I've seen that works well is the ability to blur the background.

• Dave HannanDave Hannan Administrator

Hi guys - Great feature request! Would you like to see this in our desktop clients or in Panopto Capture (web based recorder)? Thanks. -Dave

• Im with Kevin, both please

Noted. Thanks guys!

• I'm all in with this one!

• Jeff MaherJeff Maher Crackerjack

Both

• Hi Panopto team, did you decide to go ahead with a virtual background?

Am keen for this - making promotion materials for university from a home office in my bedroom...

thanks h

• Any update with this request? I like panopto but definitely, I think this addition will make the product even better.

Thanks

• Would love to see it in both. Any feature moving forward would love to see it in both :)

• Staff members are asking for this at my institution. They're too used to teams and zoom now and expect this functionality.

• This is VERY important for student comfort and equity in all video platforms right now.

• 100% Agreed. This is very necessary.

• I am working to support Faculty at our institution and they also want this feature. They want to be able to hide the backdrop like they do on Zoom, especially for the Beta Capture for quick videos. Not everyone has a backdrop that works with good lighting or they want to add something fun to engage the viewers!

When can we expect this?

• This request has come in again to us from the field. A virtual background is becoming the new normal in Teams and Zoom at least.

• I concur, please make this available for the desktop client. Thank you!

• Elba RiosElba Rios Whiz Kid

Agree. Especially during shelter-in-place where people are scrambling for acceptable backdrops/backgrounds for their recordings.

• What is the status of Panopto's virtual background capability? Original request was made in April. It is September.

• Historically, Panopto feature update process have been very slow. There are features requested months and even, years ago that have not seen the light of the day yet. I suspect they are even more busy now due to pandemic-induced growth. The entire recorder (Windows & Mac), Editor and Quiz engines need a complete upgrade. No to mention some admin features like a recorder management, scheduling, monitoring, etc. Hopefully they are expanding their human resources to get all the work done.

• In both, please.

• Both! Thanks!

Hi everyone - We're planning to ship background blurring and virtual background in Capture by the end of the year at the earliest and by early 2021 at the latest. I don't have an ETA for adding to the recorder clients. Thanks. -Dave

• Definitely supporting a virtual background feature, and still image option for video.

• Any update? Microsoft Teams virtual background works really well.

• Update requested please. This is a matter of accessibility and inclusion. This is posted with a tone that is direct and earnest.

If you need access to the accountability and legal ramifications of educational institutions not be accessible, then check out ADA laws 504 & 580.

When it comes to media, videos must adhere to Certain visual items (much like PPT), which includes proper contrast. A talking-head should be able to accommodate that.

In addition, certain learning disabilities, socio-economic status and more are detrimental to learners.

See IDEA, which talks about the 13 areas of disability: https://www.understood.org/en/school-learning/special-services/special-education-basics/conditions-covered-under-idea

The IDEA website offers a lot of information: https://sites.ed.gov/idea/

Check the list of universities who have had to resolve legal complaints: https://er.educause.edu/articles/2017/1/ada-compliance-for-online-course-design

I would like to see a timeline of development. It's easy enough to record via Zoom and embed these videos. Captioning can be run over zoom videos, too. We're in budget time of year, and comparing features. To be direct about our status: we may not renew our license without this ability to adhere to accessibility requirements as much as to our values to be inclusive.

Hi @Robin Oakley @Stacy Greathouse FYI that I posted the below update last week and I wanted to make sure that you both saw it. I'll keep you posted as we continue to make progress. Thanks. -Dave

"Hi everyone - We're planning to ship background blurring and virtual background in Capture by the end of the year at the earliest and by early 2021 at the latest. I don't have an ETA for adding to the recorder clients. Thanks. -Dave"

• Thanks, Dave. Much appreciated.

We've had to work around a few things internally re: accessibility and backgrounds. We now produce a library of backgrounds to suport accessibility (e.g. by not being too busy, relying on color for clarity, etc.), respecting our personal branding, and also functionality. Blurring alone, depending on the amount of light/clutter in the video's background, can still be too busy and kill contrast. While not a big request more than a curiosity, will Panopto supply any kind of free background library for customers' uses that are already accommodation friendly?

Don't want to assume, so in the background capability, does this include possibly running the PPT behind the speaker/webcam? I teach people how to build a background image in PPT to help them stay on task and give key terms/images to be able to point at, etc. Much like an instructor standing at a whiteboard or overhead projector pointing at things. (We were already using the presenters' tools in the recording).

Ta.

• Hi @Dave Hannan

Wondered if there's now an ETA for background blurring and virtual backgrounds in the desktop apps? 

Thanks.

@Sam Kennedy Not at the moment but in case you missed it, we did ship this feature in Capture last month. Thanks. -Dave