Welcome to the Panopto Community

Please note: All new registrants to the Panopto Community Forum must be approved by a forum moderator or admin. As such, if you navigate to a feature that is members-only, you may receive an error page if your registration has not yet been approved. We apologize for any inconvenience and are approving new members as quickly as possible.
At Panopto, we love how committed our customers are to making Panopto a better product - please feel free to share your feature ideas or vote on existing ideas in this category!

Before submitting a feature request, make sure to read our Guidelines & Expectations post

Once your idea is submitted, it will be marked as 'Tracked' when added to our internal feature requests system.

Caption Downloads to be named and suffixed with SRT

Hi all

Can I request that instead of Generate.txt as the output they are named with the session in the same way as the podcast download and have srt instead of txt as their type?

16 votes

Tracking · Last Updated

Comments

• That's odd. When I download captions, mine are named GenerateSRT.ashx

I agree with the request though!

• @Charles Barbour They get named like that on a Mac - confusingly if you try to rename them with .srt they end up becoming .txt.srt and get rejected by services like Vimeo - hence the request!

• Now that you meantion it, that sounds familiar!

• So much yes!!

• Giving the option to download captions as either txt, vtt, or srt is important. Hoping this moves ahead.

• Anyone hoping to use Panopto videos in another system--and needing captions--need to be able download the caption files. Currently, caption files only download as txt, which then requires users to convert to another format in another tool. Panopto can add that functionality easily, especially since "Panopto supports INGESTION of *.srt, *.ashx, *.vtt, and *.dxfp files as captions for a video."

So, I'd love to see Panopto allow for exporting or downloading captions in those formats, too. (vtt and srt are highest priority).

Thanks!

dann

• @Dann Hurlbert I agree that having the captions download as .srt or .vtt would be super helpful.

Currently, when I tell people how to edit their captions offline, I tell them to change the file extension from .txt to .srt prior to uploading the edited file. This workflow is solid, but it always results in a "are you sure you want to do this?" prompt and it's just an odd thing to tell people, especially if they aren't very tech savvy.

• OMG yes! Seems like a simple and logical request.