Welcome to the Panopto Community

Please note: All new registrants to the Panopto Community Forum must be approved by a forum moderator or admin. As such, if you navigate to a feature that is members-only, you may receive an error page if your registration has not yet been approved. We apologize for any inconvenience and are approving new members as quickly as possible.
At Panopto, we love how committed our customers are to making Panopto a better product - please feel free to share your feature ideas or vote on existing ideas in this category!

Before submitting a feature request, make sure to read our Guidelines & Expectations post

Once your idea is submitted, it will be marked as 'Tracked' when added to our internal feature requests system.

Add transitions, text, annotation, and graphic overlay ability to the editor

Caitlin McCabeCaitlin McCabe Administrator
edited June 2023 in Feature Requests

Original Post

Gemma Witton, 3/13/2018 at 9:29 AM

Being able to add a title, either spliced inline or overlaid would be cool. Especially if it also populated the contents. Particularly useful for content without slides.

AND

Pauline Cooper, July 2020

We would like the ability to add transitions (fades, dissolves, wipes) to videos.

76 votes

On Hold · Last Updated

This is currently on the roadmap for 2025.

Comments

• DAve,

You are correct, overlaying TEXT on top of the video when editing should be a function of the editor. This is a very useful feature. I will also add, the ability to add call outs or add shaped overlays (circle, rectangle, or even emojis - to make it fun). Most of the top competitors in your area have this feature, i will suggest adding it. This and recording a area or window on the screen instead of all the screen.

BTW, the new WEB Recorder has some of these features, but i see having a different recorder will cause a lot of pain for our users. Panopto should have ONE fully featured recorders instead of two different recorders.

• I am looking for a built in fade in and fade out function in the Panopto Editor.

• Jeff MaherJeff Maher Crackerjack

I concur

• We would like the ability to add text and/or graphics to recorded videos - much like YouTube.

• Absolutely, we have faculty who want to add small text boxes to a video and the process of having to download a video from Panopto to use another video editor, and the to repeat the upload process is just tedious.

• We have requested this in the past, and also the ability to overlay text with hyperlinks to websites or other videos within Panopto

• We would like the ability to add transitions (fades, dissolves, wipes) to videos.

• Me too!

• I like this idea. We have been using Adobe Spark to create short title sequences etc. and then splicing them into a Panopto video as a clip using the editor.

• This would be a helpful feature.

• Are there any updates on timeline for this sort of functionality?

• Ditto Carlos' suggestions. This is essential for us to go from merely recording a lecture to making it stand out. Is this on the roadmap?

• +1 Two faculty have asked for this feature as we onboarded this spring.

• @Dave Hannan will this be something that is only available with Camtasia, I would hope the intent to have a native tool for adding overlays, call to action buttons, etc. so existing content is also in the fold.

Thank you!

Michael

• If the only milestone on the roadmap for this functionality is via the Camtasia integration, that will be a huge disappointment.

• Another way this feature could be useful is for video security at a company. We often put confidentiality text on videos, but it would be nice to also have "variables" that are interpreted on the fly.

For example, if we had a text overlay that said "Video streamed by John Doe on 9/16/21 19:02:00 UTC from 12.70.126.133", where the source of that overlay would be "Video streamed by {{userFullName}} on {{dateTimeStreamingStarted}} from {{IP Address}}" or similar. This would give us a huge leg up in preventing leaked videos for confidential material (like someone recording their screen with their phone).

• Has this feature been implemented yet? I've have several requests for "lower third" titles during seminar presentations where it would be good to overlay a name and title during an event. Any update on this request?

• Any timeline on implementing this? It is really necessary for courses where certain components need to hidden such as the recording date on the users computer clock etc.

• We have been requesting this feature for years! It is about time this is done. So many competitors have much better editing features than Panopto. Please do this a.s.a.p.

• Any more word here?? This really needs to happen.

• KathrynKathryn Administrator

@Kevin Hartman Our current roadmap has 3 categories: Now, Next, and Later. This item, specifically the annotation part, is currently listed under the "Later" category, meaning that after the "Now" and "Next" items are completed, research will begin on how best to implement the feature. Later items do not yet have a timeline assigned, but I can say that there are only a handful of items in each category, so it is high on the radar. We know this one is important to all of you!

• I see the note from Kathryn that the annotation options is slated for "Later" development, but I would just like to add another voice that we have had several requests for this as we've migrated to Panopto. The videos I get questions about most frequently are those that had an error when the instructor created it, so instead completely re-recording it originally, they added annotations to their video using our previous video provider. In the conversion to Panopto, those additions have been stripped from their videos and only the video with the error is available to them now. Without this feature, they are left with very few options to correct a mistake that had already been managed before coming to Panopto.

• @Lisa Friel as a possible workaround, assuming the instructor was using slides, have they considered adding a PowerPoint slideshow with the fixed content on it in the editor and then editing in the correct slide at the needed time?

I probably made that sound more complicated than it actually is, so here's Panopto's doc on this...

Thanks,

Kevin Hartman, University at Buffalo

• Hi @Lisa Friel,

I've added your organization to the list of those interested in this feature request.

If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask - we're always happy to help!

Best wishes,

Cait

• @Kevin Hartman thanks for the tip. I had suggested this or adding in a video clip the same way. I'm glad there's some option, but it's not the simplest or preferred option by our instructors.

• This possibility to add objects to the video, e.g. an arrow, a text frame, a pattern (e.g. a black box that can be used to cover something from the video, e.g. Teams meeting participants or the interviewee's face) for a certain time interval would be really important for us as well.

Now this type of editing has to be done with some other editor. When recordings are already transferred directly from Zoom and Teams to Panopto, this seems like an unnecessary step, download the video out, process it and upload it again to Panopto to share.

• Echoing all of the other Panopto client administrators and adding that it's mildly concerning that a feature as useful and universal as this one has taken approx 3 years to reach the "Now, Next" category. I recognize that this might take more time than a monthly or biweekly developer sprint cycle to implement, but the fact that this thread hasn't dictated the importance or the need to the development team worries new enterprise customers like ours about feature prioritization at Panopto.

• Is there any update on this feature? Our institution has a growing need for it.