Welcome to the Panopto Community

Please note: All new registrants to the Panopto Community Forum must be approved by a forum moderator or admin. As such, if you navigate to a feature that is members-only, you may receive an error page if your registration has not yet been approved. We apologize for any inconvenience and are approving new members as quickly as possible.
Options

Create New User request versus Update Contact Info

Hello Panopto devs,

Our team is using User Management Class in SOAP to create a de/provisioning feed

We are creating new users using Create New Users call

We noticed that we can also update users using Create New Users, such that if a name or email change happens we can reliably use this call to update. (Even though this call doesn't include the User GUID, which is included in Update Contact Info call)

Is there any reason we shouldn't update users using Create New User? Is the main different between these 2 calls just the addition of the User GUID? <tem:userId>390fb526-6664-4228-ae81-ad0901332693</tem:userId>

Thanks

Janelle from HBS IT

Answers

• Options
    Kevin BaumKevin Baum Panopto Employee

Hi Janelle,

Thanks for your question. You should not rely on the CreateUser call to update existing user information, and should instead use the UpdateContactInfo SOAP endpoint.

The CreateUser call is only intended to be used to create new users in Panopto, but was not designed to update existing users, since we don't have the actual user ID.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,

Kevin

• Options

Thanks Kevin

I understand CreateUser is intended to be used that way, but we are able to use it to update existing users without getting errors or duplicates. So are you saying we shouldn't or we can't?

Janelle

• Options
    Kevin BaumKevin Baum Panopto Employee

Hi Janelle,

I apologize, I should have been more clear. You should not use CreateUser to update existing users, and should instead use UpdateContactInfo. Since CreateUser is not intended to handle existing users, it may lead to errors or duplicate users if you attempt to update an existing user with that endpoint.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,

Kevin