Welcome to the Panopto Community

Please note: All new registrants to the Panopto Community Forum must be approved by a forum moderator or admin. As such, if you navigate to a feature that is members-only, you may receive an error page if your registration has not yet been approved. We apologize for any inconvenience and are approving new members as quickly as possible.
Options

API returns unknown user as video session creator

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to use the API to retrieve various information from our Panopto company instance, for trend analysis as well as automatic reporting purposes.

I am successful at retrieving almost every information I need : folders structure, sessions title, creation date, etc. - except the session creator information. The API returns a generic ID (00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000) for all sessions, along with an empty username.

I suspect that the bot account that I'm using to work with the API does not have the sufficient rights. It is currently registered with the "Creator" role, in the standard company group for users in my region.

Any idea on what I could be doing wrong here? Do I need to ask for my bot account to be shifted to admin permissions?

Thanks a lot for you help,

Romain

Tagged:

Best Answer

• Options
    Hiroshi OhnoHiroshi Ohno Panopto Employee
    edited May 2021 Answer ✓

Hi Romain,

Thank you for the clarification.

This is an expected behavior. Here is a copy of the API documentation.

Note: This endpoint does not return all available properties for a session. The CreatedBy and Urls properties (except the ViewerUrl) are not returned when listing sessions in a folder. To get these properties, you can get the specific session by Id using the Sessions API.

Answers

• Options
    Hiroshi OhnoHiroshi Ohno Panopto Employee

Hi Romain,

Thank you for posting this question. Can you tell me additional pieces of information,?

1. Which exact API do you use for getting creator information?

2. You said the bot account is registered as "Creator" role. Do you mean that account has 'creator' permission for the target folders and sessions? Or, does that account have creator permission for some folders but only viewer permissions for the rest of target folders and sessions?

• Options

Hi Hiroshi,

I am working with the REST API (using python), specifically the api/v1/folders/{}/sessions and api/v1/folders/{}/children requests (recursively from the home folder, to explore the content).

My bot account has the 'creator' permission on all targeted folders.

Thank you for your help!

Romain

• Options

Thanks Hiroshi. The "example value" below the note you mention is quite misleading! It states:

"Id": "string",
          "Name": "string",
          "Description": "string",
          "StartTime": "2021-05-18T15:47:59.598Z",
          "Duration": 0,
          "MostRecentViewPosition": 0,
          "CreatedBy": {
            "Id": "string",
            "Username": "string"
          },

As there was this example, I skipped the note and went directly to the implementation :)

For the record, that is quite strange to provide the "CreatedBy" property while having it be empty. It would be useful to have the data directly populated here, because if I want to have all data, I need to perform one request per session (instead of one per folder), which is more costly.