Welcome to the Panopto Community

Please note: All new registrants to the Panopto Community Forum must be approved by a forum moderator or admin. As such, if you navigate to a feature that is members-only, you may receive an error page if your registration has not yet been approved. We apologize for any inconvenience and are approving new members as quickly as possible.
At Panopto, we love how committed our customers are to making Panopto a better product - please feel free to share your feature ideas or vote on existing ideas in this category!

Before submitting a feature request, make sure to read our Guidelines & Expectations post

Once your idea is submitted, it will be marked as 'Tracked' when added to our internal feature requests system.

Delete all discussion comments

Currently you can only delete individual discussion comments. It would be very useful to be able to either delete multiple comments at once or delete all comments..

Or is there a workaround that I am missing?

20 votes

Tracking · Last Updated

Comments

• This could be an useful feature. But, why leave it at discussion? What about contents, notes, bookmarks?

• I put in a feature request a while back on a similar topic, but instead, in the "contents" area. (https://community.panopto.com/discussion/865/bulk-remove-options-in-contents)

I completely agree that there should be a way to remove these things in bulk.

• Agreed! This would be a huge help.

• Brian DyerBrian Dyer Whiz Kid

Has anyone heard anymore about this feature?

Can Admins at least have the ability to delete discussions on a folder or session by session?

It could be like the Clear Quiz Results option. Which would also be great to have on a folder level.

• Yes, if you had it on a folder level then it would be great to be able to 'reset' or 'delete' these comments.

Teacher records video in 2020-21 academic year, then students comment on it. The teacher can then delete those comments prior to the 21-22 academic year so the new cohort can comment on it. And repeat.

• FWIW, I took a test recording I made yesterday and just now added a comment.

I made a copy of the recording, and the discussion post or comment didn't show up in the copy.

Maybe that's a way to do what some of you are looking to do?

• Thanks Kevin - that workaround may be suitable in some scenarios.

But copying a recording means the URL changes. So if you've posted links to recordings in your LMS, you'd have to go back and update them all which could be very time consuming if you have a lot of content.

• In terms of updating links, it's 6 of one, half dozen of the other if you have lots of discussion posts to delete from a video...

Do you folks find students make lots of comments on recordings? I ask because it seems for us not a lot of students do in general, unless it's a live stream and they can ask questions.

• We have some areas that use discussions heavily for questions and feedback, but for our evergreen content that moves from semester to semester, we generally recommend that the discussion part of a session be turned off and they instead use the discussion feature in Canvas. This workflow leaves a lot to be desired, and it is a space that Panopto is in a good position to fill.

It is my understanding that some things are being overhauled in this vein (discussions and the like) to support more things and provide a better UX. I hope that bulk management tools make the short-list.

Longer-term, it would be great if we could make a deep copy (linked copy) of the video where the video content came from one session, but then there would be sub-sessions for each term with unique quiz results, comments, notes, views, etc. It would be even better if you could go back to the "Source" session and view aggregate stats to compare engagement year over year.

For Canvas specifically, a new course-copy workflow is in beta, and that would solve the comments problem, but that won't work for most of our courses because of the sheer volume that it would produce. We have courses with hundreds of videos in Panopto. Combine that with the fact that a lot of those courses have multiple sections and we will be left with a comical number of unique copies. A deep copy would fill that need and prevent our footprint from getting out of hand.

• This is something that would be quite useful. I agree with @Michael Espey that turning discussion off is one solution for removing comments, especially for evergreen content.

• Bonnie PowersBonnie Powers Crackerjack

Probably would be a good idea to include a "Are you sure you want to Delete ALL Discussion Comments" dialog box to prevent accidental deletion.

• Has been any progress on this since it was marked 'Under Consideration' in September 2021?

I think it would still be useful to delete all discussion comments without the need to copy a video to remove them.