Welcome to the Panopto Community

Please note: All new registrants to the Panopto Community Forum must be approved by a forum moderator or admin. As such, if you navigate to a feature that is members-only, you may receive an error page if your registration has not yet been approved. We apologize for any inconvenience and are approving new members as quickly as possible.
At Panopto, we love how committed our customers are to making Panopto a better product - please feel free to share your feature ideas or vote on existing ideas in this category!

Before submitting a feature request, make sure to read our Guidelines & Expectations post

Once your idea is submitted, it will be marked as 'Tracked' when added to our internal feature requests system.

Microsoft Teams Integration

We rolled out Microsoft Teams across campus and one thing that is missing there is a solid way to get video into Teams in a controllable/reliable way. We can list Panopto videos/folders/playlists as a new tab, but that isn't always the experience we would want. If there was a quick and easy way to share media from Panopto within a Channel in a Team it would be greatly appreciated.

Hopefully this is something that is on the way, but if it is not, I would like to request that it be evaluated.

Thank you,

Michael

32 votes

Completed · Last Updated

Microsoft Teams integration (beta) — This integration allows enterprises and educational institutions to securely and automatically transfer recordings of Teams Meetings into their Panopto on-demand video library, where they become searchable and shareable at scale inside businesses and across virtual and physical campuses. This beta feature will be available in early July.

Comments

• Ben LuceroBen Lucero Crackerjack
    edited June 2020

We are looking at how we can get meetings recorded in Microsoft Teams into Panopto. Currently, videos recorded in Teams are natively moved into Microsoft Stream. My understanding is Panopto is working on an integration that will allow Teams users to send recordings to Panopto. Perhaps this integration will take care of both of our needs Michael! I'm keeping my fingers crossed this happens soon.

Thanks,

Ben

• This would be really great! I think that with the momentum that Teams is getting, it would be worthwhile to integrate this. Humber is trying to make Panopto the go-to for internal video content - so having Teams meetings save to Panopto would be great! But each user would need the option of which folder to save to.

• Teams integration would be awesome. Trying to figure out the live / hybrid approach for this fall. Currently looking at using two mic sources (One for Teams and one for Panopto), so we can have the live conversations with in class students and remote students. Then using the Panopto for Video / Screenshare. Right now, it works great on a dual monitor system with someone who knows what they are doing... Not sure that some of my faculty will be ready for the challenge.

• +1 for this from us!

• Agree!

• Darren RichardsDarren Richards Whiz Kid
    edited September 2020

Hi- just an added comment as this was brought up in a departmental meeting today. I know there's specifically the feature about recording MS Teams meetings into Panopto, but might the integration also support the ability to more natively "embed" a Panopto video into a Teams chat or discussion thread? It seems that teams doesn't allow a functioning "embed" but you can use the API to search for a video and share the thumbnail, description and other stats.

• Dave HannanDave Hannan Administrator

Hi everyone - We are working with Microsoft to define the APIs required to bring these features to market. Thank you for your continued outreach to Microsoft and Panopto to help prioritize these efforts. Thanks. -Dave

• I'm very excited to hear that this feature is being worked on. This will help faculty centralize recordings in their courses!

• This would be great for us too, especially since MS Teams recording no longer appear in MS Stream for easy embedding to our VLE. Now they need to download the file from chat (which is available to all students...!) and manually upload to panopto. That, or use the panopto app to record the screen in real time during a class. Not ideal to say the least.

• Agree!😉

• Not sure if it makes a difference to the planned workflow (and Ive just noticed what Andy D mentioned) the new Team recording workflow creates a Recording folder in your OneDrive folder and saves as .mp4

• Hi is there an update for this integration? To be clear, will this feature enhancement import recorded teams meetings into Panopto? Also is there a link to the feature enhancement roadmap? Thanks!

Hi John - We're still waiting for Microsoft to update their APIs to allow for content to be exported from Teams. Once this is available, we will definitely prioritize this work on our end. Thanks. -Dave

• Thanks for the update @Dave Hannan. Eagerly awaited...

• I agree this would be a great feature, we urgently need a way to manage Teams recordings ideally via the Panopto/ VLE folder structure.

Would the Teams API allow the Panopto Remote Recorder configuration page to control the device management in Teams, so the correct devices are selected? In some teaching rooms there are many device options available, so it would be incredible if they could be configured remotely. 

In case anyone missed this portion of our release notes post:

• Microsoft Teams integration (beta) — This integration allows enterprises and educational institutions to securely and automatically transfer recordings of Teams Meetings into their Panopto on-demand video library, where they become searchable and shareable at scale inside businesses and across virtual and physical campuses. This beta feature will be available in early July.

• Michael EspeyMichael Espey Superstar
    edited June 2021
    @Dave Hannan Do you know if this beta is going to include a sharing aspect as well, or is this first pass just the ingest of Teams meeting recordings?
  • Tim VincentTim Vincent Crackerjack

@Dave Hannan Thanks for pointing this out. @Cait McCabe great to hear of the service improvements and beta works in the latest update.

• This is great! Teams will be an important integration for us. @Dave Hannan -- if you know yet.. could you shed some more light on what the auto-transfer look like? Is it an all-or-nothing approach, or will the integration allow faculty to 'select' if they wish to save their recording into Panopto?

@Michael Espey This is just an option to import Teams recordings to Panopto. We're still looking into a Slack-like integration for Teams.

@Darren Richards Let me find out.

• Hi there,

I would like to request that when a teams recording is uploaded to Panopto, the meeting organiser camera will be separated from the presentation. And not a static combined mp4 file uploaded to Panopto like it is now whit teams recordings uploaded to Panopto.

The same functionality you are offering when recording a zoom meeting to Panopto Cloud.

Im really hoping that we will see this in a near future, it is very much requested at our University.

@Daniel Sjöberg - Thanks for posting! Panopto has asked Microsoft to consider enhancing their APIs in such a way that we could bring multi-stream Teams recordings to market. We have passed your feedback to Microsoft. Thanks. -Dave

• @Dave Hannan - Hi again, any news regarding my request earlier? :)