Welcome to the Panopto Community

Please note: All new registrants to the Panopto Community Forum must be approved by a forum moderator or admin. As such, if you navigate to a feature that is members-only, you may receive an error page if your registration has not yet been approved. We apologize for any inconvenience and are approving new members as quickly as possible.
Options

Using the Discussion Moderation feature

Hi,

Can the Discussion Moderation feature be used instantly in live sessions? Does the audience progress to the discussion interactively by commenting during the live session?

Thank you,

Best Answers

• Options
    Elba RiosElba Rios Whiz Kid
    Answer ✓

I have found that the discussion comments do not update live, unless you refresh. As is, the feature is just a comments space, not a live discussion. It would be a great feature to add.

• Options
    Michael EspeyMichael Espey Superstar
    Answer ✓

In my experience, the delay in the stream is far too long for the live text discussion to be relevant to what is being presented. The comments will line up with the recording, so you can go back after recording to answer questions, but if you want to address questions live, it isn't a great experience. Let's say you stop for questions in a lecture, you would need to continue to pause for an extra ~minute because there is a 20-40 second delay. While this delay is as long as it is currently, interactive webcasts are not a "good" option. It could work, but not well IMHO.

The bar for the delay when getting feedback in this way would have to be in the 1-5 second range in order to not interrupt the flow of content. From what I understand this is on Panopto's long-term roadmap, but haven't heard any details beyond that they want to improve it.

Answers

• Options

Hi,

Additionally, I want to ask: How can I notice the comments in the discussion area of the video I've published in the future? For this, a notification or warning message etc. Is there a feature like. If this feature is not used in live sessions, do I need to constantly check comments on the discussion I created in the past video? Is there such a study?

Thank you,

• Options

For live webcasts, you can configure the recorder to notify you as you record. It isn't perfect, but it is an option.

For asynchronous content, there should be a new feature coming out later in July to support discussion notifications. From what I understand, these should be via email. I am hopeful that there will also be an engagement dashboard of sorts to simplify managing and replying to discussions over multiple videos, folders, etc., but those details have not been released yet. As it exists today, there is no notification available.

• Options
    Kevin HartmanKevin Hartman Whiz Kid
    edited June 2021

@Elba Rios Are you saying discussions no longer update during live streams, or is just for the moderator that needs to refresh?

As for the delay in live webcasting, it's not ideal, but it is workable. A tech director in a hybrid/flex class environment or a TA (if lucky enough to have either of these) can monitor the discussion and either reply or relay the comment to the instructor.

Even instructors who are lecturing without being recorded don't always stop when someone raises a hand to ask a question right away. A lot of times they'll keep lecturing until they finish their point or come to a natural transition in the material. While 1-5 or even 10-20 seconds would be best, I've never seen the 30-40 second delay be an issue.

@Michael Espey Do you know of a link somewhere discussing the July updates? I've heard more things are coming but haven't seen anything as to what exactly. I think the asynchronous alerts are a huge step.

• Options
    KathrynKathryn Administrator

@Kevin Hartman The items coming in July are listed with the other recent updates in this post, https://community.panopto.com/discussion/1222/june-2021-service-update-2021-06-26#latest. Discussion notifications are scheduled to come out in Beta by the end of the month!

• Options

@Kathryn

Thank you very much!