Welcome to the Panopto Community

Please note: All new registrants to the Panopto Community Forum must be approved by a forum moderator or admin. As such, if you navigate to a feature that is members-only, you may receive an error page if your registration has not yet been approved. We apologize for any inconvenience and are approving new members as quickly as possible.
Options

Create access without ability to alter folder itself

Hi,

we basically have two groups in our system, "students" and "employees". By default, all employees should be able to publish content in the system, students should not. I therefore created a root folder and gave create access to the group "employees".

Now all employees can create subfolders in this root folder, manage the permissions of this subfolder and manage their content within this folder. Great.

However: All employees can also manage the permissions of this root folder itself and thus can remove create access from it or even delete it, rendering it useless for all employees.

Am I missing something, or is there a different way I should use? Using the personal folder is also not a great solution. We use SAML as login and provision groups also via SAML. There is no way to enable the personal folder just for employees (at least that's what I know for now). Also, the typical content shared within the organisation should not be linked to a personal folder because it must typically stay in the system even if the user gets deleted. Also it's not possible to create a good folder structure this way...

Any comments on that would be appreciated :)

Thx

Answers

• Options
    Caitlin McCabeCaitlin McCabe Administrator

Hi Andreas,

If you want all employees to record to same folder without giving them permission to edit or delete each other's content, your best option is to create a parent folder, for which they have a Viewer role, and then create an assignment folder within the parent folder that they can create and record to, but not be able to delete each other's videos. For more information on this, our article How to Allow Viewers to Record Videos Using Assignment Folders is a great starting point.

I hope this helps! If you have any more questions, feel free to ask.

Best wishes,

Cait

• Options

Thx. I'm not worried that users would delete other users content explicitly. Every user can create his own folder and restrict access to it, which is what I want them to do. Only problem is that they can delete the root-folder :/

Using Assignment Folders is not an option. Employees should be able to create folder structures and manage permissions on their folders / content.