Welcome to the Panopto Community

Please note: All new registrants to the Panopto Community Forum must be approved by a forum moderator or admin. As such, if you navigate to a feature that is members-only, you may receive an error page if your registration has not yet been approved. We apologize for any inconvenience and are approving new members as quickly as possible.
At Panopto, we love how committed our customers are to making Panopto a better product - please feel free to share your feature ideas or vote on existing ideas in this category!

Before submitting a feature request, make sure to read our Guidelines & Expectations post

Once your idea is submitted, it will be marked as 'Tracked' when added to our internal feature requests system.

Creator of content should retain access to manage videos outside of a given folder

There should be a site setting that would leave the administrative owner of a video with access to manage the videos that they create even when they do not have access to manage the folder the videos are contained in.

One exception to this would be viewers who create content within an assignment folder. When that folder closes, the individual should still lose access to edit/manage that content.

Along with this option, there should be a way to update the administrative owner in bulk within the UI.

1 votes

Archived · Last Updated

Updated to Archive

Comments

• Maybe instead it could add the original creator as a Creator directly on the session? That should allow for it to be moved around while still maintaining access and allowing that access to be removed when needed (such as the Assignment Folder situation). Plus, users would be able to manage it themselves directly, particularly when employees leave.

My worry is that all-or-nothing site-level settings add additional complexity because they change environmental assumptions after carefully designed workflows have been developed.

• "There should be a site setting that would leave the administrative owner of a video with access to manage the videos that they create even when they do not have access to manage the folder the videos are contained in."

A user creates a video in a folder. At some point they lose access to that folder. But you still want them to be able to manage that video? I assume permissions, editing, deletion, tagging, etc.?

Interesting. Right now I take it they can simply no longer see the file (which they technically still own)?

If I am responsible for the content of a folder and I had revoked a user's permissions, it might be confusing if the content was changed or deleted. Perhaps the owner of the video retains access rights to the video but any changes to the video need to be approved by a publisher? (And perhaps folder creators are automatically granted the publisher role in such a scenario?)

I also struggle about how to manage content ownership and management for people who have left the university. Who should own this video now? Can I get rid of it?

Staff members (and their supervisors) will likely have very different ideas about that question than faculty!