Welcome to the Panopto Community

Please note: All new registrants to the Panopto Community Forum must be approved by a forum moderator or admin. As such, if you navigate to a feature that is members-only, you may receive an error page if your registration has not yet been approved. We apologize for any inconvenience and are approving new members as quickly as possible.
Options

Root folder via Soap

When I want to access the root folder via the REST api, I can use '00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000'.

This doesn't appear to work when I use the Soap API. What should I use instead, if I want to do something like list all of the Root's subfolders?

Answers

• Options

I feel like I did this once. Have you tried either setting to to NULL or just leaving it blank?

• Options
    edited May 2022

Thanks Chaz! That put me on the right track. I think my issue was trying to get the root folder directly by ID and find its subfolders from the child folders, which I think is what I was doing with REST.

With the SOAP API it looks like the way is to use the ListFoldersRequest and pass in a Parent folder. Setting this to 'None' lists all folders in the site (glad I only did it on my test site!); but if I use 00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000 as the parent folder ID, that seems to get me all the children of the root.

https://support.panopto.com/resource/APIDocumentation/Help/html/93a3f1b2-d5f2-0d2e-25f4-43aebd25109f.htm

• Options

Sweet!

• Options

Hi.

I found this thread when doing a search. I'm stuck in trying to list the top level folders using the soap api. When trying something like this:

the call to GetFoldersList throws an exception.

Reading the docs, I figure the correct way to filter on top level folders is to use an empty guid (all zeros). Any other value for ParentFolderId works fine, so does the REST api calling {{BaseUrl}}/Panopto/api/v1/folders/00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000/children

Anyone get it to work, and perhaps a code sample? :)

If not I'll just use rest, but it would be better with soap in the context.

• Options

It has been a few months since I did anything with the Panopto API so I'm pretty rusty on this. I can describe what I remember below but I don't think I'll be much use if you need any more detail!

My breakthrough, outlined in my earlier comment, was realizing that the SOAP API didn't like me trying to directly access the root folder and getting its children, which I think is what I'd been doing with the Rest API. Instead it wanted me to use GetFoldersList and pass in the root folder as the parent.

So picking back through my code what I essentially did was:

A. Set up the root folder id in a variable: root = '00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000'

B. Generate a list of all folders in the root by using the GetFoldersList command and passing in the root as the ParentFolder ID. In my (low-quality) Python, my folders class includes the function below to do this:

In my code I then call this function with:   rootfolder = folders.getFoldersListByParent(root), which gives me the response listing all folders in the root.