Welcome to the Panopto Community

Please note: All new registrants to the Panopto Community Forum must be approved by a forum moderator or admin. As such, if you navigate to a feature that is members-only, you may receive an error page if your registration has not yet been approved. We apologize for any inconvenience and are approving new members as quickly as possible.

Analytics accurate?

Hi everyone,

I normally run reports on #hours of video views and unique viewers. Earlier this semester, I ran through the list of top videos recorded with lecture capture and put that report together for the first half of the semester. I just started looking at the semester as a whole, and some of the viewing hours half of what they were when I looked back in March.

Now it's possible since I was doing this by hand that I typo'd a number here or there, but I can't imagine I did that by thousands of hours. For instance, one course which is a core course for students came up with 350 students taking the course and about 4,000 hours viewed from January - March. But now when I look at the analytics from January -through mid May, I'm only seeing 1,100 hours viewed. I'm not sure how to account for some pretty big differences from what I saw a few months ago. Unfortunately, I did not download a CSV. though I will in the future for comparison.

Has anyone noticed any discrepancies when looking at analytics for recordings in Panopto?

Elaine

Answers

• Wow. I have never heard of a discrepancy that large. It would scare the crap out of me if I did.

• Caitlin McCabeCaitlin McCabe Administrator

Hi @Elaine Mello,

If a video with a lot of views (or multiple videos) was moved out of a course folder, or replaced, it's possible that this could cause a discrepancy in the reports.

That said, I'm happy to submit a Support ticket on your behalf so that we can further investigate this - please let me know if you would like me to open a ticket for you, or if you have additional questions.

Best wishes,

Cait

• Hi @Caitlin McCabe That's a possibility I hadn't considered. I'm actually cross checking through department folders to see if the numbers add up. But please open a ticket and see if there's any way to track this. I can provide a list of numbers from what I saw in March vs what I'm seeing now on the analytics.

Thanks!

Elaine

• Caitlin McCabeCaitlin McCabe Administrator

Hi @Elaine Mello,

I've opened a ticket on your behalf. Please keep an eye out for correspondence from our Support team.

Best wishes,

Cait