Welcome to the Panopto Community

Please note: All new registrants to the Panopto Community Forum must be approved by a forum moderator or admin. As such, if you navigate to a feature that is members-only, you may receive an error page if your registration has not yet been approved. We apologize for any inconvenience and are approving new members as quickly as possible.
Options

How is Panopto going to handle LTI 1.3?

Hi All,

LTI 1.1 (which, I am pretty sure is what Panopto is using) will be deprecated on June 30th (https://www.imsglobal.org/lti-security-announcement-and-deprecation-schedule).

How is Panopto going to handle upgrading to LTI 1.3? Will the app just update or will the Admins need to do something?

Thanks!

Tagged:

Best Answer

• Options
    KathrynKathryn Administrator
    Answer ✓

@Tyler Kron-Piatek Just as note, Panopto is planning to begin supporting LTI 1.3. Support is just not available as of this moment. We are going to start releasing support on per LMS basis later this year. We'll update the article posted above as more firm dates become available.

Answers

• Options
    Caitlin McCabeCaitlin McCabe Administrator

Hi @Tyler Kron-Piatek,

My apologies for the delay in responding to your post. At current, Panopto only supports LTI 1.1. Though the IMS Standards body has announced that LTI 1.1. is deprecated, individual systems have not yet dropped support. As such, Panopto's LMS partners continue to support LTI 1.1., which means that Panopto will also continue to support LTI 1.1.

For more information, we do have a new article published: Learn About Panopto Support for LTI.

Best wishes,

Cait

• Options

Hi @Caitlin McCabe ,

Thanks for the information!

However, it seems that D2L is planning on sunsetting what they call "Legacy versions" of LTI implementations (1.1x, 1.2, and 2.0) at some point. According to this article:

this is "more than 6 months out", but they may provide a more definitive date in August 2022:

Just trying to get ahead of this so it's not as much of a headache in general when the time comes to do the upgrade/change.

Again, thanks for the information. Hope to hear more soon!

Best,

Tyler

• Options

@Caitlin McCabe The support article you link to states that LTI 1.3 "provides no additional functionality" to LTI 1.1. While Panopto may choose to implement their LTI 1.3 that way, the statement itself is false. LTI 1.3 provides a lot of additional functionality, such as the Names and Roles Provisioning Service, and I would really hope that Panopto utilizes these improvements in it's implementation of LTI 1.3.

• Options

@Kathryn:

Thanks for the information! I'll be looking forward to the LTI1.3 upgrade.

• Options
    Caitlin McCabeCaitlin McCabe Administrator

Hi @Jaime Bermudez,

I reached out to our Engineering team and shared your feedback. They confirmed that LTI Advantage, which is built on top of LTI 1.3, does provide additional functionality and that Panopto plans on exploring this in the future. The article has been updated to reflect this, as well.

Best wishes,

Cait

• Options

Thank you Cait. I realize I should have written LTI Advantage as opposed to LTI 1.3 - in my mind I was thinking of them as one and the same, but I should be referring to them as separate (but related) concepts.