Welcome to the Panopto Community

Please note: All new registrants to the Panopto Community Forum must be approved by a forum moderator or admin. As such, if you navigate to a feature that is members-only, you may receive an error page if your registration has not yet been approved. We apologize for any inconvenience and are approving new members as quickly as possible.
Options

Mandatory Panopto Recorder Update

Hello,

Is there a set date of when you must update your Panopto Recorder (to the newest version) in order to connect and record into folders on our site? I did read some documentation stating it was the third week of July however I am not seeing any warning notices when launching the recorder.

Our users are currently running version 11 of the Recorder.

Thanks,

Best Answers

• Options
    Michael EspeyMichael Espey Superstar
    Answer ✓

July 21st is the date this summer for the minimum version update and this time around Panopto requires a minimum version of 12.0.

There is a site setting that is available to notify users that there is a client upgrade available, but I leave this off as it is always the bleeding edge so deployed systems that are not updated regularly will always have the notification present. I will typically turn it on about a week after we push out a new version to classrooms, then shut it off after about a week. I believe users will be presented with a notification if they try to connect with an old version asking them to update, but I haven't tested that in a while.

I wish we were able to set a target version for that notification so I could just leave it on, but that hasn't been implemented as it stands so it stays off.

• Options
    Jaime BermudezJaime Bermudez Whiz Kid
    Answer ✓

I don't believe end users running remote recorders get notified that they need to upgrade - it just stops connecting. You can make a request to Panopto Support to have them allow for an earlier version to be valid for a period of time. For example, you could request that version 11 be the minimum supported version until September or later of this year.