Welcome to the Panopto Community

Please note: All new registrants to the Panopto Community Forum must be approved by a forum moderator or admin. As such, if you navigate to a feature that is members-only, you may receive an error page if your registration has not yet been approved. We apologize for any inconvenience and are approving new members as quickly as possible.

Google Analytics 4

The survey sent out to institutions using Google Analytics reminded me to check out our instance, where the warning that Universal Analytics properties must be upgraded to GA4 and will stop collecting data on July 1st, 2023. The instructions for adding analytics property here seem to specifically be for UA (it even tells you not to create a corresponding GA4 property). When will GA4 be supported directly? I know I can create a linked property for now, and that documentation should probably be updated to recommend that, but eventually the data will stop being collected.

Best Answer

• Caitlin McCabeCaitlin McCabe Administrator
    Answer ✓

Hi @Eric Phetteplace,

I checked in with our team about your questions. There isn't any harm in leaving the UA ID, as it's totally separate from GA4; however, it will stop collecting data once Google ends their support for it (July 1, 2023).

In terms of carrying over the UA data, that would be a question for Google and we suggest looking into their documentation. I took a look at their documents to see if I could find an answer, and it seems as though it is not possible to transfer your UA data over to GA4 - as such, they recommend migrating sooner so that more historical data and insights are established for your site.

If you have any additional questions, please let us know - we're always happy to help!

Best wishes,

Cait

Answers

• Hi @Eric Phetteplace,

I apologize for the delay in my response. To confirm, Panopto plans to support Google Analytics 4 before the July 1, 2023 sunset of Google Analytics 3. I checked with my colleagues who manage this process, and they stated that they anticipate support for GA4 by the end of this year/early next year.

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to ask - we're always happy to help!

Best wishes,

Cait

• I see that GA4 is supported as of today! https://support.panopto.com/s/article/How-to-Add-Google-Analytics-4-to-Your-Panopto-Site

A few questions — is there any harm in leaving the old UA "Integrations - Google Universal Analytics - Tracking ID" ID in its setting? Should we only be using one or the other? And this is more of a general Google Analytics question, but is there a way to carry over the UA data to the new GA4 account? I created a GA4 property not by following the Panopto documentation, but via the old property, but it looks like the data still did not carry over.