Welcome to the Panopto Community

Please note: All new registrants to the Panopto Community Forum must be approved by a forum moderator or admin. As such, if you navigate to a feature that is members-only, you may receive an error page if your registration has not yet been approved. We apologize for any inconvenience and are approving new members as quickly as possible.
Options

Youtube links in Panopto are not visible when students are watching from their Ipads.

Students just informed me that they can't watch the inserted youtube links can't be viewed from their ipads.

Answers

• Options
    Caitlin McCabeCaitlin McCabe Administrator

Hi Jimmy,

At this time, embedded YouTube videos will only appear in the full Panopto player and not in the embedded viewer. I recommend submitting this as a feature request: New Feature Request.

Best wishes,

Cait

• Options

Hi Cait,

We are having a similar issue as Jimmy reported. On iOS, I cannot watch a Panopto video with embedded YouTube clips by either going to the full Panopto player or by using the new Panopto mobile app. Maybe I'm misunderstanding--does the Panopto mobile app use the embedded viewer instead of the full Panopto player?

Thanks!

Kristen

• Options
    Caitlin McCabeCaitlin McCabe Administrator

Hi @Kristen Allen,

That's correct - the Panopto mobile application uses the embedded player and not the full Panopto player. Embedded sessions, downloaded sessions, and mobile playback will show the video podcast version of a Panopto video. Tablets will show a tablet version of this, which is closer to the full experience but still somewhat consolidated.

I hope this is helpful, please let me know if you have any more questions.

Best Wishes,

Cait

• Options

I made a somewhat related feature request about a month ago: https://community.panopto.com/discussion/512/playback-youtube-videos-when-embedded-in-a-session-in-both-players

In my mind, it could go two ways. First would be to expand the functionality of the Embed player to include things like YouTube videos and PDF files. The other way would be to give us a better way to share using the full "Viewer" player.

I think both should be done at some point, but I would say that the latter is more generally useful and easier to implement. The former would require that the Embed player be overhauled to pull in other session data other than just the podcast/tablet stream.

-Michael

• Options

Thanks, Cait and Michael!

Michael, I found the feature request when looking for a solution and voted it up. We have so many students who are watching lectures on mobile with the shift to remote/online teaching, so it's definitely a need at our institution!

Best,

Kristen