Welcome to the Panopto Community

Please note: All new registrants to the Panopto Community Forum must be approved by a forum moderator or admin. As such, if you navigate to a feature that is members-only, you may receive an error page if your registration has not yet been approved. We apologize for any inconvenience and are approving new members as quickly as possible.

Issues recording with Panopto app using a mac (catalina)

edited April 2020 in General Q&A

hello, I am experiencing some issues when recording my lectures on Panopto. I have a 2019 macbook air. When I start recording my online lectures (using FaceTime camera, and Powerpoint), I quickly get the following error message:

“Problem with video capture. No video is being recorded. Check FaceTime HD Camera (built-in).”

Searching online, I encountered similar reports a couple of years ago with osx El Capitan.

Does anyone have suggestions on how to solve this please?

Thank you!

Answers

• Caitlin McCabeCaitlin McCabe Administrator

Hi Amanda,

I spoke with another member of my team, and we believe this is a matter for our Support team. I've reached out to our Support team, as well as your local Panopto administrator, to help you with this. Please keep an eye out for correspondence regarding this matter.

Best wishes,

Cait

• Thank you, I look forward to an update. All the best, Amanda

• Hi, I am wondering whether this issue has been resolved. I have the exact some problem. Can you please help?

Thanks.

• Hi there, unfortunately the issue hasn't been solved, I am still waiting for feedback on a solution. In the meantime I bought an external camera.

I hope this helps.

• Thank you Amanda for letting me know.

• Caitlin McCabeCaitlin McCabe Administrator

Hi All,

I did check on this issue with a member of the Support team, and it looks like this bug is still being investigated. We appreciate everyone's patience while issue this gets worked on.

Best wishes,

Cait

• Hi!

It has been about five months since multiple people reported this issue, and I am wondering if there is any hope for having a solution, other than an external webcam, any time soon?

I downloaded Panopto Version 9.0.1 (9.0.1.37990), which is the latest available for my institution, and the problem persists.

Thanks!

Carlos

• Hi All,

I checked with the member of the Support team who has been working on this issue. Our team is still exploring long term solutions; however, in the intermediary, are recommending that customers who experience this issue use an external camera device with Panopto for Mac. For those who do not have an external camera device, they recommend recording with Panopto Capture. For more information on recording with Panopto Capture, please visit: How to Create a Video Using Panopto Capture.

As mentioned before, we greatly appreciate everyone's patience while this issue gets worked on.

Best wishes,

Cait

• Thanks for your reply, Cait!

I already have an external webcam and I will try Panopto Capture to see how it goes.

Carlos

• Han-fen HuHan-fen Hu Tyro
    edited September 2020

Hi Cait,

I do not find "Panopto Capture" on my "Create" button. Is it because I am using the University hosting site?

Could you please let me know how I can access the "Panopto Capture" function? Thank you.

• Hi @Han-fen Hu,

Though Capture is enabled by default, it is possible that your local Panopto administrator has disabled this feature for your organization's Panopto site. They will need to enable Panopto Capture in order for you to use it through their site.

If you have a Panopto Basic or Pro account, you could use Capture with that account: How to Create a Video Using Panopto Capture for Panopto Basic and Pro.

Best wishes,

Cait