Welcome to the Panopto Community

Please note: All new registrants to the Panopto Community Forum must be approved by a forum moderator or admin. As such, if you navigate to a feature that is members-only, you may receive an error page if your registration has not yet been approved. We apologize for any inconvenience and are approving new members as quickly as possible.

How to set "inherit from parent folder" on created folder through API (Date: 2018-08-30)

Caitlin McCabeCaitlin McCabe Administrator

Original Post by Erik Steinebach, August 30, 2018 at 2:14 PM

When I now create a folder with SessionManagementClient.AddFolder and isPublic set to false, the access permission set for the folder is "Specific User" and the user which I used to add the folder added with Creator role.

How can I set the permissions for the folder to "Inherit permissions from ...." through the API? In the UI it is an easy option to select, but I don't want to do this for 80 folders.

I cannot set anything on AddFolder to change this and the AccessManagementClient doesn't offer me an option to set inherit. Removing all other permissions also doesn't make it switch to inherit.

Responses

Hiroshi Ohno , Moderator, September 27, 2018 at 9:15 PM

Hi Erik,

Panopto Public API does not have a capability to set or clear inheriting permission from parent folder to child folder at this time.

Erik Steinebach, October 26, 2018 at 10:57 AM

I would like to request this feature.

Today I again had to go through 70 folders to add "Inherit from" permissions. I would like to be able to do this automatically. Both on folder creation and after the fact (alter permission or something).

How do I get this started?

BTW, it would also be acceptable if you can set it recursively through the UI. So if I set it for one folder I should be able to say to set it for all subfolders (recursively) as well.

Doug Costain, Moderator, October 26, 2018 at 2:56 PM

Hello Erik,

I've filed Panopto Feature Request FR-1998 under your account. I'll continue advocating for this on your behalf.

Charles Barbour, May 3, 2019 at 9:17 AM

I'd like to request this as well. I can't believe it's not an option.

I will either have to:

Do this manually to about 200 folders

or

Recreate the same settings as the parent folder by doing these 4 steps:

RevokeUsersAccessFromFolder - Remove permissions for a user

RevokeAllImplicitGroupAccessToFolder - Ensure no groups have access

GrantUsersAccessToFolder - Grant access to the folder owner

GrantAllAuthenticatedUsersGroupAccessToFolder - Allow access to anyone at the org with the link

Given that the Parent folders have the permissions set correctly, this is a bit annoying. I should just be able to make one call for each folder GUID to force it to inherit the permissions.

Very frustrating.

Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers