Welcome to the Panopto Community

Please note: All new registrants to the Panopto Community Forum must be approved by a forum moderator or admin. As such, if you navigate to a feature that is members-only, you may receive an error page if your registration has not yet been approved. We apologize for any inconvenience and are approving new members as quickly as possible.
At Panopto, we love how committed our customers are to making Panopto a better product - please feel free to share your feature ideas or vote on existing ideas in this category!

Before submitting a feature request, make sure to read our Guidelines & Expectations post

Once your idea is submitted, it will be marked as 'Tracked' when added to our internal feature requests system.

Allow Quiz Retake for One Student

Michael EspeyMichael Espey Superstar
edited June 2023 in Feature Requests

As we have expanded the use of Panopto Quizzes in the last few months, we are running into a few issues. We have had multiple instructors reach out needing to give a student another attempt at a video quiz, and short of us turning on the setting to clear all results or the instructor making a one off video copy just for this student, there really isn't an option out there in Panopto. The other major pain point is in the case where a student retakes a course, they are just unable to take the quizzes. That is, unless the instructor takes hours copying and relinking all of the materials (in some cases it is 30+ quizzes per course).

This would also generally be useful when a student is retaking a class and the quizzes aren't copied into the new course folder, but just link back to the previous term. The new Canvas course copy features should fix this for us, but I still think having a way to allow a retake without clearing everything is a good tool to have.

People really like the feature (video quizzes), we just need a few things to make it so I can confidently recommend it. The above is one of those things.

The others are as follows:

16 votes

Tracking · Last Updated

Comments

• Adding my support for this request. The ability to purge an individual student's results (to allow for a retake) might be one option to consider.

• I came across this request while typing up a related idea. I thought I should link the two in case people are interested in one or the other - this issue regards Panopto quizzes being brought into Canvas: Panopto Quizzes Do Not Allow Multiple Attempts without Overwrite

• I just had an instructor ask if she could limit the number of retakes to a specific number.

Her other suggestion is related:

-If you allow multiple retakes, can they deduct some percentage for a correct answer, if the student doesn't get it on the first try. This avoids rewarding guesses.

• this is really important feature, I have a student retaking course and having this problem right now....

• Elba RiosElba Rios Whiz Kid

The quiz settings feature does allow multiple retakes, but it overrides the previous grade try. It think this makes sense as the recorded grade in Canvas, is the most recent attempt. This works for us at my institution.

Just don't edit a quiz after students have started to taking the quiz, especially if you have Canvas quiz report to import quiz result.

• Just had an instance where we needed to reset an individual's "0" score on a Panopto Quiz. Instructor does not want to reset the quiz to allow retakes for everyone. Only wants to reset for the one student who got the zero. As far as I know it's still all or nothing, allow retakes for ALL or None. Not for one individual.

• I have just bumped into this issue my self. We have used Panopto quizzes as formative assessment in five new lower division nursing courses. This term, there are two students repeating a course and are unable to retake the quizzes unless I clear all of the data.

• I have a few students that need to repeat the course each semester. I agree with you all that it would be nice if we could just reset students individually. But what would be even nicer is if panopto automatically "archived" results at the end of each term and then each term would start fresh. I would like to have access to the quiz results as historical data if ever needed for research or something. I know I can download the results on my own each term, but yuck! Who has time for all that!? When we used Techsmith Knowmia this was never an issue. Maybe panopto can call them and find out how they did it! 🤔

• Yes! We need a way of allowing a particular student to get a retake of the whole assignment or question.

Even better would be to restrict the correct answers till after they are done with all attempts. I'd like to allow them 2 attempts per question without having already given them access to the correct answers!! The whole point of the questions is to get them to watch the video. Giving them the correct answers and unlimited retakes defeats that purpose.

• We have some faculty that are looking to add Panopto quizzes to their courses and this was one of the options they'd like to have. Being able to let one or more students retake the quiz without opening it up for everybody would be really useful.

• We have this same issue often where student is retaking a course and can't complete the quizzes in the video the second time around because retakes are not enabled (instructors don't want the entire class to have that ability). Other option here is to have a feature that allows you to clear out ONE individuals attempt or score instead of clearing out ALL students results.