Welcome to the Panopto Community

Please note: All new registrants to the Panopto Community Forum must be approved by a forum moderator or admin. As such, if you navigate to a feature that is members-only, you may receive an error page if your registration has not yet been approved. We apologize for any inconvenience and are approving new members as quickly as possible.

Restore from Archive Question

Just want to make sure I am understanding this: Anybody can restore video from an archived state, including Viewers? Is that right?

Maybe I missed it, but why are Viewers allowed to restore Archived content? I would think if a Creator or Admin archived something, they did so for a reason, and should be the only ones to restore it when they see fit.

Answers

• Caitlin McCabeCaitlin McCabe Administrator

Hi Kevin,

Great question! The Archive only consists of videos that have met an Archive retention policy set by an Admin, which are videos that may be considered "stale" as they haven't been viewed, edited, or interacted within a certain amount of time. There isn't an option for Admins or Creators to move individual videos directly into the Archive.

Viewers are only able to access and restore archived videos that have been shared directly to them - either by a direct link or when added to a folder containing the video(s).

If a Creator has content that they want to remove from Viewers, their best option is to adjust the sharing settings of that video or use a private folder (such as their My Folder) to store content that only they want to access, by using the folder's sharing settings.

I hope this helps - please let me know if you have any additional questions.

Best wishes,

Cait

• Cait

Thanks for the reply, I think this makes sense.

You state that Viewers can only access and restore archived items that have been directly shared with them. So would that not include access control lists or groups then, like a Viewer group on a course folder?

Do we as admins have the ability to turn off a Viewer's ability to access and restore archived material? Can it be limited to just Creator/Admin?

Thanks

Kevin

Hi Kevin,

Though the option to show archived videos doesn't appear in the integrated LMS view, a person with Viewer access (such as one in a course folder Viewer group) could theoretically select the "open in Panopto" icon and access the option on the full Panopto site.

At this time, you cannot limit who can access archived content if an archive retention policy is set in place. In terms of site settings, you can adjust the site setting Features - Archive Action for Content Retention, which adjusts the ability to include "Archive" as an option in your site's retention policies, and therefore, archived videos will not appear on your site for any user.

I will pass along your feedback to the team that manages this feature as it is certainly helpful.

Best wishes,

Cait

• @Cait McCabe , so for clarity. If a video is embedded in Canvas and the video has been archived, the student will have the ability to restore the video because the video is stored in the Panotpo folder the course where the student was officially enrolled? Thanks.

• Hi @Elba Rios,

That is correct. If an archived video appears embedded in a Canvas course, a student enrolled in the course would have Viewer access and therefore could restore and watch the video.

Best wishes,

Cait

• @Cait McCabe , great! Thank you. 😊

• Ben CohanBen Cohan Crackerjack

@Caitlin McCabe If the archived video's share setting was set to "anyone at your institution with the link" and said video is embedded in a Canvas page, will the student in the Canvas course be able to restore it? Thanks!

Hi @Benjamin Cohan,

If a student has access to a Canvas course, they are granted Viewer access to the Panopto videos in that course, including those that are archived, and have the ability to restore archived videos.

Best wishes,

Cait