Welcome to the Panopto Community

Please note: All new registrants to the Panopto Community Forum must be approved by a forum moderator or admin. As such, if you navigate to a feature that is members-only, you may receive an error page if your registration has not yet been approved. We apologize for any inconvenience and are approving new members as quickly as possible.

viewer engagement statistics for multiple videos

edited September 2021 in Product Questions

Is there a way to get the viewer engagement statistics data as a csv for all videos in a folder? Or even better, multiple folders at once?

I would like to bring the viewer engagement data into TableauP Prep / Tableau and see there are any videos in a course that people are abandoning more frequently than others.

It looks like a creator or grader can save out the view engagement stats a video at a time, but that would be really tedious. I've read up on stats available to a system admin, but they don't seem to include the view engagement statistics, however, I'm a newbie and may not be looking at the right spot in the documentation.

Best Answers

• Caitlin McCabeCaitlin McCabe Administrator
    Answer ✓

Hi Sarah,

You can download a folder's viewer statistics as a .csv file by following the steps in Learn About Folder and Session Level Statistics: Folder Statistics. In terms of identifying videos that users are abandoning more frequently than others, the "User Completion" report has two columns that may be helpful for you: "Percent Completed" and "Last Position," which include the percent watched as well as where the user stopped watching a video (in seconds).

As always, please let me know if you have any additional questions - we're always happy to help!

Best wishes,

Cait

• Answer ✓

This was very helpful. The folder stats are MUCH easier to work with once I understood that the Session Name matched the video name. However, I do have a few more questions.

Is there a place to see a data dictionary for the files?

How would I determine if someone watched a video to completion at least once? For the file that downloads as "folder-Completion_xxx", it looks like if someone completed a video once, clicked on it again by mistake, and abandoned it soon after starting if their % Completed might be computed as 50%.

How should Minutes Delivered be interpreted? Like if it says 0.6867272, is that really 41.2 seconds, e.g., 0.6867272 * 60?

Thanks so much,

Sarah

Answer ✓

Hi Sarah,

We don't currently have a document that outlines the columns of these reports but are always happy to answer any questions you may have about them.

Only the highest percentage watched will appear for the user in the User Completion report - meaning that, if a user watches the whole video (100%) and then watches the video a second time but not the whole way through, the report will still show them as having watched 100%. In terms of Minutes Delivered, yes - in that case, it would count as 41.2 seconds of streamed and downloaded content combined.

Please let us know if you have any more questions, we're always happy to help.

Best wishes,

Cait

Answer ✓

Hi Sarah,

Yes, if someone watches a video the whole way through and then watches it again, but only a portion of the video, it will impact their average viewing time (total minutes divided by the number of times the video is viewed).

The last position is the last place they were in the video when they exited the Panopto viewer - but it is worth noting that they could, in theory, have skipped ahead to that position, so the percentage completed would reflect this.

Please feel free to let us know if you have any more questions.

Best wishes,

Cait

Answers

• edited September 2021

How is the Average Minutes Delivered be calculated on the User Completion report for the person who watched a video all the way thru, then restarted and abandoned it? It is looking like that does impact the average.

How do I interpret the Last Position? I'm seeing several people with the last position of 333.###, but they have vastly different Percent Completed for the same video and all but one have a value of 1 in their Views and Downloads metric so it doesn't look like they viewed more than once..

I ***THINK*** these are the last of my questions!

Thanks for your patience,

Sarah