Welcome to the Panopto Community

Please note: All new registrants to the Panopto Community Forum must be approved by a forum moderator or admin. As such, if you navigate to a feature that is members-only, you may receive an error page if your registration has not yet been approved. We apologize for any inconvenience and are approving new members as quickly as possible.
At Panopto, we love how committed our customers are to making Panopto a better product - please feel free to share your feature ideas or vote on existing ideas in this category!

Before submitting a feature request, make sure to read our Guidelines & Expectations post

Once your idea is submitted, it will be marked as 'Tracked' when added to our internal feature requests system.

More Robust YouTube Integrations

Currently, YouTube videos can be added within Panopto videos through the table of contents. This necessitates a creator to create a video prior to pulling in a YouTube video to the session. The YouTube video within the session cannot have notes, discussions, or quiz questions added to the YouTube video's timeline. These features must be used outside of the YouTube video's context in the rest of the Panopto session.

It would be great to be able able to create a Panopto session based solely off of a YouTube video. This way, Panopto features can be used for the YouTube video, such as quiz questions, discussions, search, and notes.

For reference Canvas/Instructure product currently has this functionality, which is along the lines of what we would like to see Panopto accomplish.

9 votes

Tracking · Last Updated

Comments

• I've sseen some products which allow the importing of YouTube videos directly into their platform so the video now lives within the system rather than on YouTube. I love that idea.

• Assuming you own the YourTube video, you can download it and import it in Panopto. Otherwise, you will be depending on a video that may or may not be there next month or year. You could also, use a third-party app to "extract" the video; pending you have copyright approval. Maybe Panopto will create this feature, but I don't think this is a priority for them.

• We've just migrated from Ensemble, which Panopto purchased, and we're really going to miss the ability to directly route YouTube videos through Panopto like we did with Ensemble. I would think that if Panopto purchased Ensemble, they would be able to easily migrate that programming?