Welcome to the Panopto Community

Please note: All new registrants to the Panopto Community Forum must be approved by a forum moderator or admin. As such, if you navigate to a feature that is members-only, you may receive an error page if your registration has not yet been approved. We apologize for any inconvenience and are approving new members as quickly as possible.

Do special characters in video titles cause Closed Captioning availability to fail?

Adam BrimerAdam Brimer Whiz Kid
edited July 2022 in General Q&A

We noticed that certain videos didn't have the option to amend or even download captions. After investigating, we found that, because the title had the word "Don't" in it, that it was causing the captions and all their associated options in the video settings menu to disappear. After renaming the videos to something else without the word "Don't" or specifically without that apostrophe in it, we got the caption options back.

We tried uploading the videos several times and in different folders to no avail. The only variable we can find here that's causing issues is the word "don't" or just the apostrophe.

Answers

• Michael EspeyMichael Espey Superstar
    edited July 2022

I just had a case where we couldn't download the captions on a video this morning from a Zoom meeting. Removing the 's from "X's Personal Meeting" allows us to download the file.

Time to update my ticket and thank you for posting this!

• Caitlin McCabeCaitlin McCabe Administrator

Hi @Adam Brimer,

This sounds like something our Support team should investigate. When I went to open a ticket on your behalf, I noticed that your organization already has an open Support ticket regarding this matter. Please let me know if you have any additional questions - we're always happy to help!

Best wishes,

Cait

• @Adam Brimer I can also confirm that any videos with an apostrophe in title are not giving me the ability to download ASR. captions. FWIW, we recently had a 3Play caption request for a video with a tilde (ene) name in the tile and I can download that just fine.