Welcome to the Panopto Community

Please note: All new registrants to the Panopto Community Forum must be approved by a forum moderator or admin. As such, if you navigate to a feature that is members-only, you may receive an error page if your registration has not yet been approved. We apologize for any inconvenience and are approving new members as quickly as possible.
At Panopto, we love how committed our customers are to making Panopto a better product - please feel free to share your feature ideas or vote on existing ideas in this category!

Before submitting a feature request, make sure to read our Guidelines & Expectations post

Once your idea is submitted, it will be marked as 'Tracked' when added to our internal feature requests system.

Dedicated caption editors

Richard BrowneRichard Browne Crackerjack
edited February 2021 in Feature Requests

Good morning,

Is there a way to assign a role to a user which allows them to edit the ASR captions on a video without having the capacity to change anything else on that video?

If not, can I suggest this role be considered as a feature request?

Kind regards,

Richard

16 votes

Tracking · Last Updated

Comments

• I requested this at least a year ago. Roles did not help. I hope we can get this solved soon. They just need to add a new role that will allow that person to edit captions only. Nothing else. They may need to create a module just for that out of the editor.

• KathrynKathryn Administrator

@Richard Browne Currently, there isn't a role that just allows editing the ASR captions. We can definitely add this as a feature request, so I'm going to move this post to the feature request section.

• Hey @Kathryn do you know if this is in the dev pipeline? I think it would a great and popular feature to have.

@Louis Pliskin I confirmed that this is not currently planned for the first half of this year. However, this item will be considered for future development - we agree that it would be useful!

• @Kathryn do you know if there is an actionable timeline for this feature?

@Jimmy Wade Apologies for the long wait for a response - I was out of the office on leave. This feature request does not currently have a timeline assigned.

• Update: Thanks to Panopto's addition of customisable roles we now have this (or close as reasonably possible - a Videographer who can't move, copy or delete, so they can see and edit videos across the estate). Cheers!
  • Hi @Richard Browne

Can I ask what options you have selected/deselected under the 'Role permissions'?

The role description and the permissions also make it look like it only has global rights.

Thanks