Welcome to the Panopto Community

Please note: All new registrants to the Panopto Community Forum must be approved by a forum moderator or admin. As such, if you navigate to a feature that is members-only, you may receive an error page if your registration has not yet been approved. We apologize for any inconvenience and are approving new members as quickly as possible.

Starting the device 'Main Screen' failed. Error: Media pipeline failure: 0x8000ffff

Windows 10 Pro version 1909 (OS Build 18363.836)

Panopto 7.1.0.61401

The following error dialog appears when starting Panopto:

=========================================

Starting the device 'Main Screen' failed.

Error: Media pipeline failure: 0x8000ffff

=========================================

Installing two different "Radeon RX 580 Series" graphics card drivers failed to resolve problem:

Driver date   Version

2-20-2019   25.20.15025.1002

8-16-2019   26.20.12028.2

Answers

• Caitlin McCabeCaitlin McCabe Administrator

Hi Greg,

This is definitely an issue for our Support team. I went to submit a ticket on your behalf, but it looks like one has already been submitted by your organization regarding this matter.

If you have any more questions, please feel free to let us know. We're always happy to help!

Best wishes,

Cait

• I have a Dell XPS 13 7390 2-in-1 laptop and I have the same problem, even after updating the display driver. Here is the system info:

Video Adapter: Intel Iris Plus Graphics (driver updated today)

Display: 13.4" 16:10 UHD+ WLED Touch Display (3840 x 2400)

RAM: 32GB 3733MHz LPDDR4x Memory

CPU: 10th Generation Intel(R) Core( TM) i7-1065G7 Processor (8MB C ache, up to 3.9 GHz)

Note: Windows Media Player is already installed, so I assume that I already have the appropriate Media Feature Pack installed.

Anyhow, please let me know if there is any way I can help with this issue. I need this operational as soon as possible.

Hi @Gordon Fenton,

As mentioned above, this would be a matter for our Support team. To expedite things, I'll submit a ticket on your behalf and notify your Panopto administrator. Please keep an eye out for future correspondence regarding this.

Best wishes,

Cait

• I also have a Dell XPS (9500) and I too am experiencing the pipeline failure. I did notice though strangely it only happens when plugged into my power supply. If I run off the battery I don't experience the problem

• Hi Brad,

Jim Golden at Panopto solved it for me. Here is what he did:

Hi Gordon,

Thank you for your time today. During our call, we reproduced the

behavior and then reviewed a configuration file change to address this

behavior. The setting we changed was allowdesktopduplication which is

related to allowing for the use of our newer Desktop Capture

technology. By disabling this, we reverted to our prior Desktop

Capture technology and found that this does address the behavior to

allow for proper desktop capture to occur.

Our Engineering team is reviewing this behavior on an internal case to

improve this new Desktop Capture technology to address these types of

behavior in future releases of Panopto for Windows.

• Hi,

I have exactly this problem with my Dell XPS. Is there any news on how to fix it?

Hi @Sebastiano Moruzzi,

As mentioned above, this would be a matter for our Support team. To expedite things, I'll submit a ticket on your behalf and notify your Panopto administrator. Please keep an eye out for future correspondence regarding this.

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to let me know.

Best wishes,

Cait