Welcome to the Panopto Community

Please note: All new registrants to the Panopto Community Forum must be approved by a forum moderator or admin. As such, if you navigate to a feature that is members-only, you may receive an error page if your registration has not yet been approved. We apologize for any inconvenience and are approving new members as quickly as possible.

Who Has Access and How to Do More Than One at a Time

edited January 2021 in General Q&A

We migrated over a LARGE number of videos and folders with subfolders. We are needing to keep the access closed, but have multiple people have eyes on the content. Even with Inherit Permissions, I'm having to go folder by folder by subfolder to change access so the User Group can see everything.

Is there a way to do a mass access change? Am I stuck having to go folder to folder to change access?

Answers

• Hi Katie,

We do have two articles that may be helpful for you with this: How to Batch Share Videos and How to Batch Share Folders. Additionally, it is possible to create a custom API tool, but it would be up to you and your team when it comes to creating such a tool and managing it (More information available at: Learn about the API).

I hope this is helpful - please let me know if you have any other questions. We're always happy to help!

Best wishes,

Cait

• I tried this and it still does not change the access to the subfolders or videos within them. Just the actual folder.

• KathrynKathryn Administrator

@Katie Harrill To add a particular user group to a bunch of folders, you could go to the User Group area under System. Select the User Group form the list and under the Access tab, you can add access to a bunch of folders at once. You would need a comma separated list of the folder names. You would need to list each subfolder unless the subfolder is set to inherit permissions from the parent folder.

The videos should, by default, inherit permissions from their folder unless the video was shared more widely at some point.