Welcome to the Panopto Community

Please note: All new registrants to the Panopto Community Forum must be approved by a forum moderator or admin. As such, if you navigate to a feature that is members-only, you may receive an error page if your registration has not yet been approved. We apologize for any inconvenience and are approving new members as quickly as possible.

Panopto login loop from Moodle integration?

We are having an issue with some students on their devices where they are trying to access Panopto sessions through the Moodle integration/Panopto block links but they just arrive at the Panopto login screen and can't get beyond that with their login credentials. Has anyone else experienced this and found any solutions they could suggest?

Answers

• We are having an issue with some students on their devices where they are trying to access Panopto sessions through the Moodle integration/Panopto block links but they just arrive at the Panopto login s Tweakbox creen and can't get beyond that with their login credentials. Has anyone else experienced this and found any solutions they could suggest?

issue got solved!!

• KathrynKathryn Administrator

Hi Poppy,

Glad to hear the issue was solved!

• Could you post how you solved the issue?

@Tony Moreno Hi Tony - so it turns out that the above two posts are actually sophisticated spam posts that copied content from Reddit or other places on the web. If you a just now experiencing this issue, it may be related to settings change that we made in Panopto 12:

The change involves this site setting: Security - Use Token-Based Authentication for Embedded Content

Since August, Panopto has enabled the functionality where users can be authenticated using tokens instead of cookies when viewing embedded videos or selecting a video to embed using the embedded video chooser. This site setting can be used to disable token-based authentication. Please note, if you turn this off, user access may be impacted if the user’s browser blocks third-party cookies.

https://community.panopto.com/discussion/1440/january-2022-product-service-update-2022-01-08

There is a known issue with this change that if a user has a cookie cached from a different login provider, other than the one you are trying to access from, that a login loop can occur. Clearing the cookies should unblock this issue. An overall fix for this behaviour is being prepared but there is not yet a confirmed ETA for this.

If you believe there is a separate issue happening, please let me know, and I'm happy to open a support ticket for you.

• What we're experiencing is users trying to access Panopto content (in this case an embedded folder of content) that is not the Panopto block, and are then prompted for a login. We found that making sure the user had "accept third party cookies" would alleviate the problem. If the user clicked on a Panopto activity block first, there wasn't a problem.

As we don't want to have users change their cookie settings, we're experimenting with the "Sync Users after Class Enrolment" option in the Panopto config area in Moodle, to sync up the user info from Moodle to Panopto, and see if that fixes the issue.

@Tony Moreno Glad you are experimenting with a solution! If you are still experiencing a problem in the future, I am happy to open a support ticket, just let me know.

• I am having the same issue. When I open Moodle, it quickly goes to the browser, opens a tab and closes it automatically. When I go back to Moodle, the Panopto Sign in dialog is up but when I click the green sign in button nothing happens. The Moodle desktop app shows all Panopto videos as a black block with a sign in button that says "Click here to sign in and play video". I have already changed the Safari settings to not block the cookies and allow cross-site tracking. I have tried Chrome and Firefox and the issue was not resolved. Additionally, I installed the Panopto app for Mac, but that didn't help either. The IT department has contacted Moodle and it doesn't seem that the problem is on their side. Please help.

• Hi @Benjamin Naderi,

This does seem like an issue our Support team should investigate. I'd be happy to open a Support ticket on your behalf, if you'd like - please let me know.

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to ask. We're always happy to help!

Best wishes,

Cait

• Hi @"Caitlin McCabe" ,

Thank you for your response. Yes, please do open a support ticket for me.

Thanks,
    Ben
  • Hi @Benjamin Naderi,

I will open a ticket and make your local Panopto administrator aware, as well. Please keep an eye out for correspondence regarding this matter.

Best wishes,

Cait

• edited November 2022

@Caitlin McCabe Hi Cait,

I haven't heard anything yet.

Thanks,

• Hi @Benjamin Naderi,

Thank you for letting me know. I've reached out to the Support team and they should be in contact with you soon - please let me know if you have any additional questions.

Best wishes,

Cait