Welcome to the Panopto Community

Please note: All new registrants to the Panopto Community Forum must be approved by a forum moderator or admin. As such, if you navigate to a feature that is members-only, you may receive an error page if your registration has not yet been approved. We apologize for any inconvenience and are approving new members as quickly as possible.

Panopto Quizzes Do Not Allow Multiple Attempts without Overwrite

edited October 2020 in Canvas

We are using Panopto videos with embedded quizzes to check student comprehension during the lecture. Students are required to complete the questions, but can watch the video and complete the questions as many times as needed.

Unfortunately, if a student receives 5/5 (for example), and then rewatches the video to study and gets 3/5, the 3/5 overwrites the previous result in Canvas.

Similarly, if a student opens a video to study after the due date, the quiz result is reported back from Panopto with the new date, and thus Canvas marks it late.

I'm also opening this with Canvas support, but their documentation states they are only reporting the number that Panopto pushes over. Thus I think it will need to be addressed by both organizations.

Best Answers

Answers

• In searching for related issues before writing a new post, I cam across a related question. I thought I should post it here in case others also run into both issues: Allow Quiz Retake

• Hi Andrew,

In case you don't see my comment on your other post, Panopto Quiz Results Inconsistently Pushed to Canvas, I've forwarded your concerns to our Support team and notified your local Panopto administrator. A member of our Support team should be in contact soon, so please keep an eye out for correspondence regarding this matter.

Best wishes,

Cait

• Hi again Cait,

Thanks for the post. I marked the other issue as resolved, since support request 00691449 is supposed to address it (expected to be fixed in a 10/12 update).

Per the same support communication, Panopto reports the most recent grade, even if the score is lower than a previous attempt. This strikes me as a good feature to be able to customize.

My suggestion would be Panopto lets users choose whether to report "most recent" or "most recent if higher than previous".

On the Canvas side, I imagine Canvas will need to change their "late response" logic to only mark something as late if a score hasn't previously been received from Panopto.

Please let me know if there is a particular way for me to mark this as a requested feature. Thanks again!

Andrew