Welcome to the Panopto Community

Please note: All new registrants to the Panopto Community Forum must be approved by a forum moderator or admin. As such, if you navigate to a feature that is members-only, you may receive an error page if your registration has not yet been approved. We apologize for any inconvenience and are approving new members as quickly as possible.

Windows 10 in-line update de-selects Audio Capture device

Hi Team,

I'm currently scheduling an update to Win10 20H2 from prior versions of Windows 10 on ~100 Panopto Remote Recorder devices. In testing the in-line update, I found that the configuration in the remote recorder console changes when the update runs; specifically, the device set for Audio Capture is deselected, though the device is still present and available in the list of possible capture devices.

I'd like to know if there's a registry key or config file that I can check/set using powershell to ensure that the setting in question is retained during the upgrade process. Having to manually go into the console and re-select the device as each update is completed is no big deal for one or two systems, but for the number I have in my fleet, it quickly becomes time consuming and vulnerable to human error.

I saw a similar posting from August of this year:

(https://community.panopto.com/discussion/654/remote-recorder-registry-settings-list-query)

... however the solution was provided offline in that case.

Thank you!

Answers

• Caitlin McCabeCaitlin McCabe Administrator
    edited January 2021

Hi Wallace,

For questions about Remote Recorders set up and issues such as this, our Support team are the best suited to help you. To expedite things, I'll submit a ticket on your behalf. Please keep an eye out for email correspondence from our Support team on this matter.

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to ask them - we're always happy to help!

Best wishes,

Cait

• Thank you; I'll watch for a response email from the support team.

• Wallace
  • We have this same problem whenever we update RR software, it appears to be a widespread problem. Can someone post the resolution here, if there is one.

• Caitlin McCabeCaitlin McCabe Administrator

Hi @Beth Fellendorf,

For RR issues like the one Wallace posted, our Support team are the best suited to help you. I'm happy to also submit a Support ticket on your behalf - please let me know if you'd like for me to do so.

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to ask them - we're always happy to help!

Best wishes,

Cait

• edited May 2021

Hi @Cait McCabe,

When we upgrade RRs this summer I will keep this in mind and open a ticket if this problem pops up again.

Beth

• Hi @Beth Fellendorf and @Wallace Haviland,

Apologies for resurrecting this old thread but we have the same issue and i was wondering if you ever got to the bottom of it.

Any info you can provide on root cause/resolution would be much appreciated.

Ash

• @Ashley Foster sadly no progress. We just updated a bunch of machines to ver. 12 and it does the same thing, deselects the proper audio device (it favors the audio from the camera and content devices, even though there is no audio coming from those devices).

It also fails to recognize which source is the camera and so we almost always have to go in and flip it so the device feeding camera is primary and the device feeding content is secondary.

• @Beth Fellendorf thanks for the response!😊

I have logged a support call with Panopto who have confirmed that it is a known issue and advised that their developers are working on a fix.

"The reason the devices became un-selected is because the device ID of the recording device can change due to the Windows Updates. And Panopto identifies specific devices (to be checked or unchecked in the Web UI, by the device ID."

No ETA on the fix unfortunately.🙁